Door Contractor in Mounds View | There’s a Lot More to Doors Than You Thought!
Understanding the difference between stiles and sills is important when looking for replacement doors in Mounds View. There is a lot more to modern exterior doors than slabs of glass and hinges in a frame. Understanding all the parts of these doors will assist you in making the best choices for your replacement doors. Let’s take a closer look at the parts of an exterior door below:
- Panel– Panels make up the center section of the doors, they are the most obvious part of a door. These are held in place by rails and stiles.
- Core – Most entry doors have a foam filled or solid wood core underneath their panels.
- Frame – The frame is the structure that mounts the door to the wall and holds the door panels in place. Frames are traditionally built with wood, but some exterior doors will use metal for added strength. The frame must be installed with precision to ensure the door panel can swing unencumbered and is level.
- Sill – The bottom part of the door frame is the sill. The sill is generally more heavy duty than the rest of the frame to handle traffic entering and exiting the home.
- Rails and Stiles– Railes and Stiles make up the vertical sections of the panel.
- Lites and transoms– Lites and Transoms are the glass panels that you will sometimes see along the sides or top of an exterior door. The Lites are the side windows and the Transom is the glass pane above the door. These provide added illumination and security for your entryway.
- Bottom sweep– The bottom sweep is used to help seal the panel against the sill. Generally, this is made of rubber or hard cloth to allow it to flex when opening and closing the door while also providing a strong seal against drafts and the weather.
- Weather-stripping– Provides protection from the elements by sealing off the panel around the frame from the elements. This protects your home from rain, wind, and snow.
Door Contractor in Mounds View | Professional Installation for your new doors
Checking the quality and build of each of these parts of your potential replacement doors is a great way to ensure you install the best doors for your home in Mounds View. Having good weather-stripping and solid panels ensures your home will stay dry and draft-free with added security. Having your new doors installed professionally will ensure the best results for your investment. Contact us today for a quote to replace your doors today and we will help with your windows, siding, roofing, or door installation service needs. Call us to set up an appointment at (651) 329-4815. Check out our pages on Angie’s List, BBB and Houzz to read reviews from our valued customers like you!
Door Contractor in Mounds View | We offer expert window and door replacement services throughout the Twin Cities.
Minneapolis | Roseville | St Paul | Coon Rapids | Brooklyn Park | Minnetonka | Edina | Woodbury | Lakeville | Eden Prairie | Fridley | Maplewood | Shoreview | Arden Hills | Mounds View | Maple Grove | Shakopee | Chanhassen | Rogers | Plymouth | Golden Valley | Victoria | Champlin | Chaska | Prior Lake | Savage | Hopkins | Andover | St Louis Park | New Brighton | Apple Valley | Burnsville | Ramsey | Anoka | Crystal | Ham Lake | Bloomington | Blaine | New Hope | Richfield | Spring Lake Park | Columbia Heights | Brooklyn Center | Eagan | Little Canada | Hastings | Mendota Heights| Oakdale| Vadnais Heights | White Bear Lake | Stillwater | Centerville | Falcon Heights | Forest Lake | Gem Lake | Hugo | Lino Lakes | Lauderdale | Mahtomedi | North Oaks | Wyoming | Hudson | Lake Elmo | Grant| Bayport | Newport | Pine Springs | Inver Grove Heights | Rosemount | Orono | St Cloud | St Anthony | St Michael | Wayzata | Twin Cities | Excelsior